⅓ cup (80 g) raisins
2 Tbs rum
⅓ cup (80 g) bread crumbs
½ cup (100 g)butter
3 lbs (1½ kg) sour apples
⅓ cup (80 g) chopped nuts
½ cup (100 g) sugar
- Combine the flour, salt, egg, and 1 Tbs of oil with ½ cup (125 ml) lukewarm water to make a soft dough and leave alone for 30 minutes.
- Then roll out in a floured kitchen towel and brush with oil.
- With flour-covered hands, reach under the dough and draw it out from the center until it becomes very thin.
- Remove the thicker edges and save.
- For the filling, douse the raisins in rum, roast the bread crumbs in butter, and strew over the dough.
Peel the apples and remove their seeds,
slice them thinly and combine with the raisins, nuts, cinnamon, and lemon juice before spreading the mixture out over the dough.
Roll up the strudel and fasten the ends by pressing them firmly.
Decorate the top with the remaining dough and pierce several times with the tines of a fork.
Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (180 ˚C). Melt the remaining butter. Put the strudel on an oiled cookie sheet, baste with the melted butter, and bake for 30-45 minutes.
Baste with the butter a few times while the strudel is baking. To serve, slice the strudel, decorate with powdered sugar, and bring it warm to the table.