4 egg yolks, 4 egg whites
1 pinch of salt
1 oz (30 g) sugar
1 packet of vanilla sugar
Peel of one untreated lemon
4 tsp (20g) flour
- Beat the egg whites and the pinch of salt in a bowl until they are stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar and vanilla sugar. In a second bowl combine about a third of the beaten egg whites with the egg yolks and the lemon peel.
- Fold it into the larger portion of egg whites slowly, and carefully add the flour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 ˚F (220 ˚C).
- Generously butter an oven – proof, oval casserole and spoon in the meringue, forming little hills (Nockerln) before the dessert goes into the oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the peaks are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- The meringue should be crisp outside and creamy inside (so be sure not to open the oven door while it is baking).