Calories per serving 393
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 10 -12 minutes
350 g (11 ½ oz) potatoes, cubed
1 garlic clove, peeled
3 Tbs low-fat (less than 3%) crème
½ Tbs chopped sage, plus extra to
1 Tbs plain flour
2 slices of calves’ liver, about 150g
(5 oz) each
½ Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
gravy, to serve
- Cook the potatoes and garlic in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 -12 minutes until tender, then drain.
- Return the potatoes and garlic to the pan and mash with the crème fraîche and sage.
- Season well with pepper.
- Meanwhile, season the flour with salt and pepper, then press the pieces of liver into the seasoned flour to coat them all over.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the liver and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve the liver hot with the garlic mash and gravy, garnished with extra chopped sage.
- For calves’ liver with garlic lentils, heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a saucepan and cook 1 diced carrot, 2 diced celery sticks, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and 1 diced onion for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add a drained 400 g (13 oz) can green lentils and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the liver as above. Stir the chopped sage into the lentils and serve with the liver.