Frozen peas are fine. This cold soup is just the thing to eat as spring gets underway and
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 spring onions, chopped
1 round lettuce, shredded
1 large cucumber, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
150g fresh or frozen peas
1 litre vegetable stock
1 vegetable stock cube
salt and pepper
1 Tbs half – fat crème fraîche
- Heat oil in a large pan and add spring onions, cooking gently for 3 minutes.
- Add lettuce, cucumber and peas, stir and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and stock cube, season and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Cool and blitz with a hand – held blender.
- Refrigerate until cold, check seasoning and consistency, and serve with chives and swirl of crème fraîche.
Frozen peas often contain more vitamin C than week-old fresh peas; freezing just after
picking locks in the vitamin which otherwise declines over time.