1½ lbs (700 g) sour cherries (2 jars)
1 Tbs cornstarch
½ cup (100 g) sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 chocolate cookie cake layer,
diameter 10 in (26 cm)
3¼ cups (750 ml) cream
2-3 Tbs Kirsch
- Drain the sour cherries.
- Add a little juice to the cornstarch and boil about a cup (250 ml) of juice with ¼ cup (40 g) sugar and the cinnamon stick.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and thicken the liquid with the cornstarch.
- Boil again, add the cherries, reserving a few for the decoration, stir carefullly with a wire whisk, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Slice the cookie layer twice through, combine the remaining sugar with the cream and beat until it forms stiff peaks.
- Spread a thin layer of cream over the first chocolate cookie layer, use a pastry bag to make 4 concentrated cream stacks on the layer, and fill the remaining surface with half the sour cherries.
- Add the second cookie layer, press lightly and sprinkle with Kirsch (diluted with sugar water if desired).