1½ tsps olive oil
½ medium onion, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 Tbs tomato purée
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp chilli powder (mild)
½ tsp ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan and warm the olive oil.
- Add chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add garlic and chopped pepper, then cook for 5-7 minutes over a medium heat until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato purée, together with the spices, and simmer for a further 5-7 minutes until it starts to reduce.
- Season, then crack the eggs directly over the tomato mixture.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the egg whites are firm, the yolks still runny and the sauce has slightly reduced.
- Garnish with flurries of chopped parsley.
This breakfast provides double the recommended daily amount of vitamin C.