Preparation time 25 minutes, plus
Cooking time 7-10 minutes
600 g (1¼ lb) lean pork loin, cubed
2 Tbs muscovado sugar
2 Tbs tomato ketchup
2 Tbs dark soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
2 Tbs orange juice
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
2 tsp ready-made piri-piri sauce or
½ tsp granulated sugar
4-6 tbs extra-light mayonnaise
½ red cabbage, sheredded
2 carrots, grated
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients in a large, non-metallic bowl until smooth.
- Add the pork and mix until well coated.
- Cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the coleslaw.
- Mix together the vinegar, piri-piri sauce or marinade, sugar and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Toss together the cabbage, carrots and spring onions in a large bowl, then add the dressing and mix together until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Thread the pork on to 8 metal skewers and cook under a preheated grill for 7-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through and sticky.
- Serve 2 skewers per person with the coleslaw and steamed white rice, if liked (remembering to count the extra calories).
- For sweet & spicy pork wraps, cut the pork into strips.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients as above, add the pork and mix until well coated.
- Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat a griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan until hot, add the pork and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently, until cooked through.
- Divide between 8 small flour tortillas.
- Cut 1 cucumber into thin matchsticks and divide between the tortillas along with 8 shredded spring onions.
- Roll up each tortilla around the filling and serve.