Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour 20 minutes
200 g (7 oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 bouquet garni
2 x 400 g (13 oz) cans flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
250 g (8 oz) cherry tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or saucepan, add the lamb and fry for 3-4 minutes until browned all over.
- Remove the lamb from the casserole and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes until the onions are beginning to brown.
- Return the lamb and any juices to the pan, then stir through the flour and add the stock, tomatoes, bouquet garni and beans.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour until the lamb is just tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the dish and season well with pepper.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes, then serve with steamed potatoes and green beans, if liked (remembering to count the extra calories).
- For pork & cider warming pot, replace the lamb with 350 g (11½ oz) lean pork tenderloin, cubed.
- Brown as above and set aside.
- Cook the onions and garlic as above, tip in the browned pork and stir in the flour.
- Pour in 400 ml (14 fl oz) each of ham stock and cider, instead of the lamb stock.
- Omit the canned tomatoes, and add the bouquet garni and beans.
- Simmer, covered, as above, adding 300 g (10 oz) cubed carrots to the pan 30 minutes into cooking.
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes, omitting the cherry tomatoes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 2 Tbs wholegrain mustard and a handful of chopped flat leaf parsley.