Preparation time 10 minutes, plus
Cooking time 8-10 minutes
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
finely grated rind of 1 lime
1 Tbs ginger cordial
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
250 g (8 oz) thin asparagus spears
juice of ½ lime
mixed salad leaves
salt and pepper
chervil sprigs, to garnish
- Cut each scallop in half and place the pieces in a nonmetallic bowl.
- Mix together the spring onions, lime rind, ginger cordial and half the oil in a separate bowl.
- Season to taste and pour this dressing over the scallops.
- Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the asparagus in a steamer, cover and cook for 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Toss with the remaining oil and the lime juice.
- Season to taste and keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan until hot, add the scallops and fry for 1 minute on each side until golden and just cooked through.
- Add the marinade juices and heat through.
- Arrange the asparagus spears, salad leaves and chervil sprigs on 4 serving plates with the scallops and any pan juices, then serve.
- For scallops with Parma ham, wash and cut the scallops, then marinate in 2 crushed garlic cloves, the lime rind and all the oil, omitting the spring onions and ginger cordial.
- Meanwhile, remove the fat from 4 slices of Parma ham, then cook under a preheated hot grill for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool, then break the ham into large pieces.
- Cook the scallops as above and serve with the ham and remaining ingredients.
- Omit the asparagus.