1½ cups (150 g) flour
Salt, black pepper
¼ cup (75 g) butter
5 oz (150 g) fine, lean, smoked
4 oz (125 g) crème fraîche
1 pinch nutmeg
- Add a pinch of salt, one egg, and the butter cut in small pieces.
- Knead together the ingredients and the flour and form the dough into the shape of a ball.
- Squash the pastry flat again and knead it once more into the shape of a ball.
- Wrap the dough in airtight cling film and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
- Roll out the dough very thin. Grease a flan or quiche tin with butter (the classic size is 7 ins/ 18 cm diameter).
Line the tin with the pastry
- Prick the dough several times with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- Cut the rind off the bacon and remove any gristle.
- Cut the bacon into small cubes and brown them slightly in a frying pan.
- Beat the two remaining eggs, stir in the crème fraîche and season the mixture with nutmeg, pepper and a very little salt.
Distribute the bacon cubes evenly
over the flan case (grated cheese
may also be sprinkled in if required.
Pour the egg-cream mixture over the
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Serve hot.