Preparation time 15 minutes, plus
Cooling time 20 minutes
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
½ tsp ground turmeric
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2.5 cm (1 inch) piece of fresh root
ginger, peeled and grated
300 ml (½ pint) warm water
400 g (13 oz) can reduce-fat coconut
1 Tbs tamarind paste
1 large aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
salt and pepper
4 mini plain naan breads, to serve
- Dry-fry the cumin and coriander seeds in a small, nonstick frying pan for a few minutes until aromatic and toasted. Leave to cool, then crush together.
- Mix together the crushed seeds, cayenne, chillies, turmeric, garlic, ginger and the measurement water in a large saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the coconut milk and tamarind paste.
- Arrange the aubergine slices on a foil-lined grill rack and brush the tops with some of the curry sauce.
- Cook under a preheated hot grill until golden.
- Stir the aubergine slices into the curry sauce. Serve hot with mini plain naan breads.