Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
2 cooking apples, peeled and grated
175 g (6 oz) mixed berries, plus extra
pinch of ground cinnamon
1 Tbs clear honey
2 sheets of filo pastry
1 egg white, lightly beaten mint sprigs,
- Put the grated apples, berries, cinnamon and 1 tsp of the honey in a saucepan and cook gently for about 5 minutes or until the fruit is soft.
- Brush the filo pastry sheets with the egg white and place 1 sheet on top of the other.
- Cut the sheets into quarters and place one-quarter of the fruit in the centre of each rectangle.
- Tuck in the ends of the pastry and roll into sausage shapes.
- Place the strudels on a baking sheet brush with the remaining honey and bake in a preheated oven, 150˚C (300˚F), GAS Mark 2, for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Decorate the strudels with mint sprigs and extra berries and serve with a little low-fat custard, if liked (remembering to count the extra calories).
- For summer apple & berry tartlets, cook the fruit as above.
- Cut each filo pastry sheet into 8 squares.
- Melt 20 g (¾ oz) unsalted butter in a saucepan.
- Brush each filo square with melted butter, then lay one square on top of a second, at a slight angle to the first.
- Place each double layer of filo in a hole of a bun tin to make 8 tartlet cases.
- Spoon the cooked fruit into the pastry cases and bake as above for 12-15 minutes until the pastry edges are golden.
- Decorate and serve as above.