Most of us know how to make ratatouille, chiefly because it’s one of those cheerful dishes that can cope with anything you sling at it. I’ve slung plenty at this version in order to max out the veg content. Don’t dismiss the tiny amount of sugar here – it helps to bring out the flavour in any cooked tomato dish. Make this in double quantity and have it handy in the freezer for a Fast Day fix.
- Fry onion in oil until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and celery, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then add aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, oregano, chilli flakes, sugar, salt and pepper, plus water, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water if necessary to achieve correct consistency.
- Serve at room temperature, topped with torn basil leaves and thin slices of crisply toasted rye bread.