5 oz (150 g) sugar
4 cups (750 ml) milk
4 oz (100g) sugar
1 packet vanilla sugar
- Heat up 4 Tbs of sugar with 2Tbs of water.
- Remove the sugar from the heat when it has turned brown.
- Put the caramel into an oven proof blancmange mold, and shake the mold so that the mixture is well distributed all over the dish.
- Take great care during this process not to get burned!
- Mix the milk with the remaining sugar and the vanilla sugar and bring to the boil.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Gradually add the hot milk to the eggs, stirring the mixture constantly.
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F (225 °C).
- Pass the egg cream through a sieve into the blancmange mold.
- Place the filled mold into the oven in a bain-marie for about 30 minutes until the mixture has set.
- Allow it to cool completely in the mold before turning the custard out onto a flat plate.