Calories per serving 190
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour 50 minutes
1 turkey drumstick, about 625 g
2 garlic cloves, peeled
15 baby onions or shallots, peeled
3 carrots, diagonally sliced
300 ml (½ pint) red wine
a few thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
2 Tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp port wine jelly
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
Salt and pepper
- Remove the skin from the turkey drumstick and make a few cuts in the flesh.
- Finely slice 1 of the garlic cloves and push the slivers into the slashes.
- Crush the remaining garlic clove.
- Transfer the drumstick to a large, flameproof casserole or roasting tin with the onions or shallots, carrots, crushed garlic, wine, thyme and bay leaves.
- Season well with salt and pepper, cover and roast in a preheated oven, 180˚C (350˚F), Gas Mark 4, for about 1¾ hours or until the turkey is cooked through.
- Remove the turkey and vegetables from the casserole or roasting tin and keep hot.
- Bring the pan juices to the boil on the hob, discarding the bay leaves.
- Add the parsley, jelly and mustard and boil for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Carve the turkey and serve with the vegetables and sauce in 4 serving bowls, accompanied by steamed new potatoes, if liked (remembering to count the extra calories).
- For spicy roast turkey with vegetables, prepare the turkey drumstick as above, then rub with the juice of 1 lemon and 2 Tbs mild curry powder.
- Toss the baby onions or shallots and chopped carrots in 2 Tbs olive oil and place in a roasting tin with the turkey drumstick on top.
- Roast as above for 35 minutes, then add 2 cored, deseeded and chopped red peppers, 1 large sweet potato, chopped, and 1 large courgette, thickly sliced.
- Baste the turkey with any juices and roast for a further 1 hour or until the turkey drumstick is cooked through.
- Carve the turkey and serve with the vegetables and pan juices.