Calories per serving 170
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 25-35 minutes
½ Tbs olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
½ tsp ras el hanout
pinch of ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground coriander
400 g (13 oz) cherry tomatoes
2 Tbs chopped coriander
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 6-7 minutes until softened and lightly golden.
- Stir in the spices and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and season well with salt and pepper, then simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
- Scatter over 1 Tbs of the coriander, then divide the tomato mixture between 2 individual ovenproof dishes.
- Break an egg into each dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 220˚C (425˚F), Gas Mark 7, for 8-10 minutes until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still slightly runny.
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes if you prefer the eggs to be cooked through.
- Serve scattered with the remaining coriander.
- For Mexican baked eggs, heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a frying pan, add 1 chopped onion and 1 cored, deseeded and chopped red pepper and cooked until softened.
- Add 2 crushed garlic cloves and ½ tsp chilli powder and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute.
- Stir in a 400 g (13 oz) can chopped tomatoes and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, then add 1 Tbs chopped coriander.
- Divide between 2 individual ovenproof dishes and break an egg into each, then bake as above.
- Serve with 1 stoned, peeled and sliced avocado, if liked.