4 lbs (2 kg) various North Sea fish, mussels, and other shellfish
4 oz (125 g) shallots
2½ cups (500 ml) fish stock
2½ cups (500 ml) dry white wine
14 oz (400 g) leeks
½ stick selery
14 oz (400 g) carrots
½ cup (150 g) butter
2½ cups (500 ml) cream
2 Tbs finely chopped parsley
Salt, black pepper
- Gut and fillet the fish, thoroughly wash and scrape the mussels and other shellfish.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots and poach together with the fish, mussels and other shellfish in the fish stock and white wine.
- Wash or scrape the remaining vegetables, cut into fine strips and braise lightly in 3 Tbs of butter.
- Strain through a sieve and retain the liquid.
- Remove the fish and shellfish from the stock, add the vegetable stock and reduce the liquid.
- Pour in the cream and bring to the boil, then add the remaining butter.
- Remove the shellfish from their shells and put them in an oven proof tureen together with the vegetables; pour the sauce over the ingredients.
- Bring briefly to the boil once more and serve sprinkled with parsley.
Chardonnay is a good accompaniment to this dish.