Calories per bite 122
Preparation time 10 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking time 10-12 minutes
200 g (7 oz) brown rice flour
75 g (3 oz) butter, softened
75 g (3 oz) golden caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 large banana, mashed
6 toffees, chopped
15 g (½ oz) chewy banana slices or dried banana chips
- Line two 12-hole mini muffin tins with paper cases.
- Place all the cake ingredients except the toffees in a food processor and whiz until smooth, or beat in a large bowl.
- Stir in the toffees.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, sprinkle over most of the muscovado sugar and bake in a preheated oven, 200˚C (400˚F), Gas Mark 6, for 10-12 minutes until golden and just firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Top the cooled cakes with chewy banana slices or banana chips and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- For butterfly banana & walnut mini muffins, make the muffin mixture as above, replacing the toffees with 50 g (2 oz) roughly chopped walnuts.
- Bake as above, then push 2 banana chip halves into each muffin, to look like butterfly wings.
- Serve with a light dusting of icing sugar instead of the muscovado sugar.