40 g (1½ oz) light brown sugar
150 ml (¼ pint) boiling water
375 ml (13 fl oz) medium-dry champagne
150 g (5 oz) raspberries
- Stir the sugar into the measurement water until it has dissolved, then leave to cool.
- Mix together the sugar syrup and champagne. Pour it into a shallow , nonstick baking tin so that it is no more than 2.5 cm (1 inch) deep.
- Freeze the mixture for 2 hours until it is mushy, then break up the ice crystals with a fork. Return the mixture to the freezer for 2 more hours, beating every 30 minutes until it has formed fine, ice flakes.
- Spoon the granita into 6 elegant glasses and top with the raspberries.
- For pink grapefruit & ginger granita, grate a 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece of peeled fresh root ginger into the boiling water and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Set aside for 30 minutes before mixing the ginger sugar syrup into 350 ml (12 fl oz) fresh pink grapefruit juice, instead of the champagne.
- Complete the recipe as above, omitting the raspberries.