Preparation time 30 minutes, plus
Cooking time 8 minutes
125 g (4 oz) caster sugar
125 g (4 oz) plain flour, sifted
1Tbs hot water
500 g (1 lb) fresh or frozen,
thawed, drained and quartered
strawberries, or 425 g (14 oz) can
strawberries in natural juice,
drained and quartered
200 ml (7 fl oz) fat-free natural
fromage frais or low-fat natural
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Lightly grease a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) Swiss roll tin. Line with a single sheet of greaseproof paper to come about 1 cm (½ inch) above the sides of the tin.
- Lightly grease the paper.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl over a saucepan of hot water until pale and thick.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture with the measurement water.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven, 220˚C (425˚F) , Gas Mark 7, for 8 minutes until golden and set.
- Meanwhile, place a sheet of greaseproof paper 2.5 cm (1 inch) larger all round than the Swiss roll tin on a clean, damp tea towel.
- Once cooked, immediately turn out the Swiss roll face down on to the paper.
- Carefully peel off the lining paper.
- Roll the sponge up tightly with the new greaseproof paper inside.
- Wrap the tea towel around the outside and place on a wire rack until cool, then unroll carefully.
- Add half the strawberries to the fromage frais or yogurt and spread over the sponge.
- Roll the sponge up again and trim the ends.
- Dust with icing sugar and decorate with a few strawberries.
- Purée the remaining strawberries in a food processor or blender and serve as a sauce with the roll.
- For vanilla & jam roll, make the batter as above, folding in ½ tsp vanilla extract before baking.
- Bake, then roll, wrap and cool as above.
- Lightly heat 150 g (5 oz) raspberry jam and spread it over the sponge.
- Roll the sponge up again, trim the ends and dust with icing sugar.