3 lb (1.5 kg) mealy potatoes
2½ cups (300 g ) flour
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until soft. Drain, leave until cool enough to handle, then peel and mash.
- Mix in the eggs and salt and then add the flour and knead into a dough.
- Divide the potato mixture into 10 equally – sized portions and roll each portion into long strings about as wide as your thumb.
- Cut up the dough string into pieces of about 1 inch (2½ cm) in length and dust with flour.
- Using the back of a fork, pattern the pieces with the typical ribbed gnocchi design.
- Cook the gnocchi in moderately sized portions in boiling salted water.
- They are down when they rice to the surface.
- Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Serve with sage butter, or a tomato or meat sauce.
Tip: The amount of flour needed depends on the kind of potato used. New potatoes are
unsuitable for gnocchi, as they absorb far more flour
than older varieties.