For about 3 lbs (1.2 kg).
2 cups (250 g) rice flour
4½ cups (1 kg) sugar
¼ tsp citric acid crystals (from pharmacy)
8 oz (250 g) pistachio kernels
3 Tbs rose-water
- Take a cake pan or pie dish measuring about 10 × 10 ins (25×25 cm) and line it with a muslin cloth large enough to overhang the sides all round.
- Sprinkle it with about half of the rice flour.
- Mix the rest of the rice flour with the sugar and just over 5 cups (1 ¼ liters) of water, and bring to the boil in a large pan.
- Add the citric acid, and continue to boil, stirring continuously.
- When the mixture begins to foam, reduce heat and continue to simmer, but continue stirring from time to time to prevent sugar setting and caramelizing.
- After about 2 hours take the pan from the heat and test as follows: put one teaspoon of the mixture into iced water and shape into a ball.
- If it is elastic and can be squeezed, then the Turkish delight is ready.
- Pour the hot mixture into the pan or dish with the muslin, and smooth the surface.
- Stand for at least 24 hours, then turn out on to a baking tray which you have sprinkled liberally with confectioner’s sugar.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut it into squares or
rectangles, and turn each in icing confectioner’s sugar.