1 Tbs dried porcini mushrooms
1 poulard, weighing about 3½ lb (1.5 kg)
1 can tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
A few basil leaves
¾ cup (150 ml) Cabernet (red wine)
Salt, black pepper
2 oz (50 g) butter
4 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 ˚ F (200 ˚C).
- Soak the mushrooms in lukewarm water for 15 minutes.
- Separate the chicken into four pieces.
- Peel and quarter the onions and cut up the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Put the onion, tomatoes, mushrooms with their soaking liquid, garlic, basil, red wine and a pinch of sugar into a roasting tin and mix well.
- Season the poulard pieces with the salt and pepper and place in the roasting tin, skin-side up.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 1-1½ hours.
- Remove the meat from the sauce and keep warm.
- Press the sauce through a sieve, thicken if necessary, season to taste and serve separately.
- Grilled polenta and the wine used in preparing the dish are good accompaniments.