4 Tbs lukewarm water
5 cups (600 g) flour
½ cup (150 g) sugar
A pinch of salt
7 oz (200 g) butter
Grated rind of an untreated lemon
8 oz (250 g) candied fruit and
candied lemon peel, cubed
5 oz (150 g) raisins
1 Tbs sunflower oil
- Mix the yeast in the lukewarm water with a little of the flour.
- Cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and salt and make a well in the center of the flour.
- Break the eggs into the well, add the yeast and knead the ingredients together to form a workable dough.
- Add the butter in knobs, the lemon peel, the candied fruit, and raisins and work these into the dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball, cover and leave to rise in a warm place free from drafts for 8 hours.
- Then roll the dough into a long cylinder and place in a well-oiled
- Charlotte or fluted Brioche tin.
- Leave to rise for a further 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 ˚F (220 ˚C).
- With a knife, make a cross on the top of the panettone and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from the tin immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Leave to stand for at least 12 hours before cutting.