1 lb (500 g) ordinary mushrooms or
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1¼ cups (250 ml) red wine vinegar
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stalks.
- With the exception of the oil bring the rest of the ingredients to the boil in just over ½ cup (125 ml) of water, then add the mushrooms.
- Remove the saucepan lid and leave to simmer on a reduced heat, until the mushrooms sink to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Remove the garlic and leave the stock to cool.
- Place the mushrooms in the fluid in jars and pour on the oil so that a film forms on the surface of the fluid, thus providing a seal.
- Cover so that the jars are airtight and refrigerate for 10 days.