5 oz (150 g) chocolate
¾ cup (150 g) soft butter
½ cup (100 g) powdered sugar
6 egg yolks, 6 egg whites
¼ cup (50 g) sugar
1¼ cups (150 g) flour
1 pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and mix with the butter until creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and, one by one, the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar to form semi-stiff peaks, fold in the flour (to which the salt has been added), and turn into the chocolate – butter mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (180 ˚C).
- Butter and flour a springform pan with a 10 inch (24 cm) diameter, slide in the mixture and bake for 45 – 60 minutes. Let the torte cool completely in the pan before attempting to remove it.
- Warm the apricot jam and brush it over the torte with a pastry brush. Let it cool for a few hours.
- To make the icing, bring the chocolate, sugar, and half a cup of water to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Then reduce the heat and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until the icing begins to thicken.
- Spread the icing quickly and evenly over the whole torte , and serve, once it has cooled, with unsweetened whipped cream.