1 lb (500 g) potatoes
2 Tbs flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup (150 ml) milk
- Peel, grate, and wrap the potatoes in a clean cloth, and twist the ends of the cloth tightly to squeeze out the liquid starch. Collect the liquid starch in a container.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Drain the clear liquid from the liquid starch and add the remaining white starch itself to the potato mixture.
- Add the milk and make a light dough with a semi-liquid consistency.
- Spoon into a skillet containing hot fat or onto a hotplate.
- Cook on both sides for approximately 5 minutes until the potato pancakes are golden brown.
- Boxty pancakes are served with butter and sugar or fruits, with fried bacon, and with meat, fish, or vegetable fillings.