2 lbs (1 kg) beef shoulder
¼ cup (60 g) butter
Salt, black pepper
3 large onions
1 Tbs brown cane sugar
2 ½ cups (500 ml) Gueuze, Lambic or brown beer
1 slice of bread
1 bouquet garni
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 Tbs mustard
- Cut the meat into large cubes, about 2 oz (50 g) and fry in the butter until brown on all sides.
- Add salt and pepper and remove.
- Peel the onions and cut them into rings and braise them lightly in the meat juices.
- Add the cane sugar and the beer and bring to the boil.
- Crumble the bread and add to the gravy together with the bouquet garni, the vinegar, and the chunks of meat.
- Cover and cook at a low temperature for 2 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- The best accompaniment is stoemp aux carottes, mashed potato and carrot.